In researching specs that sold last year, some very obvious trends in their loglines. Combining them into one, this is your 2013 spec:
A small-town sheriff with a dark past joins an elite military strike team to rescue his raped/kidnapped wife before traveling back in time to stop his daughter dying in a terrible shopping mall terrorist attack.
That’s free, by the way. You can have it. Enjoy?
We have a lot of goofy fun on this blog, because we’re often too busy writing to talk a whole lot about our writing. The irony of this is not lost on us. C’mon, we’re writers.
But we wanted to take a moment to wish a happy 5th Blogiversary to the Bitter Script Reader, a champion among men. Anyone out there interested in writing would do well to check out his blog and soak in the knowledge bombs he’s been dropping on the world for the past five years.
He’s got interviews with writers, tips, advice, reviews and a puppet with eyebrows thick enough to make Martin Scorsese jealous.
Anyone interested in learning about the craft of screenwriting should be following him. To top it all off, he’s a great guy and his shared love of Star Trek: TNG, DS9, Seinfeld, Superman, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Goldbergs and Billy Joel make him our long-lost brother we’ve never met.
Bottom line, he’s good people out there doing a great service to writers. So congratulations, Bitter, on five excellent years. And the rest of you, get over to his blog and get reading.
You can thank us later (cash or paypal only, please).
I don’t much care for looking backward. It’s important to know where you’ve been, but even more important to know where you’re going. That being said, we accomplished a lot in 2013 and we wanted to log it here to remind ourselves on those days when we’re feeling lazy.
- Wrote and produced all 8 episodes of Henderson & Havner (you can listen to them for free RIGHT HERE).
- Pitched and scripted two submissions for Red Stylo’s “Unfashioned Creatures” Frankenstein anthology. “FrankenMorning” was accepted, with art from the splendiferous Peng-Peng.
- Wrote and produced “Phantom Canyon”, a horror/western audio drama, our first Pendant Prestige Production, with our amazing project co-writer Geoffrey Thorne.
- Extensively revised our screenplay “Bulletproof”.
- Susan served as script editor on all submissions to our audio drama anthology show, "Seminar".
- Jeffrey served as script editor for over a dozen episodes of the "Genesis Avalon" audio drama, and in-production audio dramas “Trace” and “Ashes of Alturas”.
- Jeffrey served as head writer on "The Kingery" and wrote the outline for the seventh season of the show. Jeffrey wrote two episodes and Susan wrote two episodes as part of their staff writing duties for season six of the show.
- Susan’s short “San Diego” was voted Best Writing in a Seminar Short in the 2013 Pendy Awards.
- Jeffrey’s short “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Work” was voted Best Seminar Short in the 2013 Pendy Awards (Best Actor in a Seminar Short went to Barbra Dillon of Fanboy Comics for her excellent work in this very short).
- Outlined and wrote the script to a new television drama pilot, “The Majestic 12”.
- Scripted 10 sample comic pages of “Bulletproof” to see if it would adapt well to a graphic novel (it would)
- Outlined and wrote the script to a new action screenplay, “Skyjackers”.
- Outlined and wrote the script to a 22-page one shot comic, as yet untitled, for the Top Cow Talent Hunt (final edits pending).
On top of all that there’s a lot of related stuff… we’ve met a lot of great people, our stuff is getting read and I think we actually managed to update this blog a few times (usually with ridiculous conversations via texts, we realize, but still).
We’re cruising right on into 2014. We’ll be finalizing the comic script, plotting another prestige audio drama with Geoffrey Thorne, reworking another new television pilot and then we’ve got another screenplay on deck. I’m sure before we get through all of that, the queue for the rest of 2014 will start shaping up.